Saturday, May 26, 2007

Long time... No post....

My word.

What a long time since I've posted.

Time speeds up as you age. That's why you don't seem to get as much done each day. It's not that you slow down, there's just more time passing.

Highlights were definitely getting another one of my PhD students through.Very good thesis - but I would say that. Big trip to China couple of weeks ago. Very interesting place - the little bit I got to see. Rated Hong Kong airport. I managed to book a lounge online from home. So I staggered off the plane, had a shower and a bit of sleep (actually stretched out flat - makes all the difference). Remembered to buy the correct perfume on the way home in duty free.

China was interesting. Lots of development where I was. People very friendly. I was working in one of the largest hospitals in the world (four and a half thousand beds) doing some brain imaging and eyetracking (fascinating stuff).

One wonders whether in the midst of all this development something is being missed. At least communism gave a shape to thought and life. For many it was profoundly unhelpful, unattractive and unhealthy and it cost millions their lives. But there it was. Now it has all but disappeared, at least as far as I was aware. The party still exists, but it is very unclear whether it's composed of Marxists anymore. It seems to be a social organisation which you join if your want to advance socially. But why should it have any special status? What values does it espouse? What big questions does it seek to answer?

As communism declines or at least fades into the background, what value system will replace it? Just chasing material prosperity guarantees no satisfaction. What can? What will? It will be interesting to find out.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home