Saturday, February 18, 2006

Christian music, Christian mugs...

No, not a gratuitous insult. I have lots of mugs in my house, and one at work (my Garfield Christmas mug). I'm very attached to some of them. I still have my Scotland World Cup Finals 1982 mug - used it all the way through my PhD. Are these Christian mugs? Don't think so. I sort of feel the same way about what is sometimes called Christian music. It's only connection with Christianity is that is written/sung/liked by Christians. But the content? Some twee, some distinctly suspect in theological terms. A bit like the average hymn book I suppose. And it's not a modern phenomenon. There's been some really good stuff written in recent years, along with the dross. Just as much as there some real pre 20th century musical tat, as well as the gems. Even Charles Wesley penned the occasional worrying line ("emptied Himself of all but love"? I don't think so).

Horses for courses. There's music as the evangelistic tool. I was never that convinced about this. Perhaps it’s the scientist in me. But as the very best it seems to me it can only communicate a mood, and attitude. And it's rarely at its best. There's music as a communal mode of expression. Here we are perhaps better served now than we were. The upsurge in interest in worship that seemed to spring out of the Charismatic movement probably did us all a favour. There's music as an individual help. There have been times when particular songs and hymns have been a really important means of communication. Bit like the Psalmist's experience perhaps?

I'm off to jam on my guitar.

2 Comments:

Blogger David said...

I remeber your "My Religions in Mothballs" song and the baffled looks it provoked in the wee old ladies that heard it at the church we were visiting (was it the one in Anniesland?).

Ah, happy days! :-)

4:26 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Ah yes. I was so young and so cynical then!

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home